The largest theater district in Chicago, the Belmont Theater District offers plenty of things to do, shows, and so much to enjoy. With a prime Chicago location close to some of the finest neighborhoods, such as Lakeview, the Belmont Theater District is a rather popular spot for shopping, dining, and entertainment.
Offering shows ranging from comedy to world-class performances, there’s a little bit of everything here. More than 100 shows are held throughout the district every single week on the more than 20 stages.
A huge range of theaters are found within the Belmont Theater District making it one of the most popular destinations for live performances in Chicago. From comedy clubs to prestigious theaters, you’ll find a little bit of everything here. The theaters include:
- About Face Theatre
- American Blues Theater
- Annoyance Theatre & Bar
- Athenaeum Theatre
- Briar Street Theatre
- Chicago Theater Works
- CSz Theater Chicago
- Eclectic Full Contact Theatre
- Emerald City Theatre
- Laugh Factory
- Mercury Theater Chicago
- Music Box Theatre
- Newport Theater
- Otherworld Theatre
- Playground Theater
- Shattered Globe Theatre
- Theater Wit
The theaters feature many companies and players providing regular performances throughout the week.
Plenty of shows are happening every single week in the Belmont Theater District. From popular shows, such as the Blue Man Group and Super Human to more unique shows, such as Who Killed Joan Crawford? and Thunderdome, there’s quite a variety of options here.
The Belmont Theater District offers something for anybody with all types of improv shows, open mics, stand-up comedians, world-renowned shows, and so much more.
More than Just Theaters
While the name of this district implies it’s all about theaters and shows, there’s so much more to the Belmont Theater District than what you’ll find on the stages. Throughout the area, you’ll find more than 100 bars, restaurants, and cafes, along with plenty of shopping options and so much more.
This area of Chicago is home to lakefront parks and trendy boutiques, along with some of the best restaurants in the city. You can enjoy a baseball game at Wrigley Field or take a tour of ome of the finest architecture in the city.
The Lakeview neighborhood is a part of the Belmont Theater District and offers some of the finest shopping in the entire city. Enjoy plenty of indie businesses found along Lincoln Avenue, along with all kinds of outdoor festivals, summer concerts, farmers’ markets, and community events all throughout the year.
How to Get to the Belmont Theater District
If you don’t live in Lakeview or another neighborhood found near the Belmont Theater District, you’ll need a way to get to this area of Chicago. There are several ways you can arrive including:
- By Car – About a 30-minute drive from Downtown Chicago, if you arrive by car, you will likely need to find a public parking lot. Parking is strictly enforced here and most streets offer metered parking seven days a week.
- By Bike – During the warmer months of the year, you can rent a Divvy Bike and enjoy biking through the Belmont Theater District. If you have your own bike, you’ll find more than 150 bike racks throughout the district making it very bike-friendly.
- By Bus – Ten bus routes run through the Belmont Theater District and most run about every 20 minutes. You can get a transit card and make your ride on the bus much easier.
- By Train – The elevated “L” and subway both run near the Belmont Theater District with three CTA train lines (Red, Brown, and Purple) making stops or transfers within the area.
No matter how you arrive in the Belmont Theater District, you’re sure to enjoy your time here. Whether you choose to call the Lakeview neighborhood home for convenient access to the many theaters, restaurants, shopping options, and nightlife spots, or you just visit the district, it has plenty to offer and you’ll certainly want to come back often.